Who can build you a database?
Where can you buy a database?
There are important factors to take into account if you are going to build a database.
What do want the database to do?
Is anyone else likely to have had the same requirements? Does the database already
Who is going to build you the database?
Who is going to maintain your database?
- Made to measure - should fit perfectly
- No need to compromise
- Cheaper in the long run
- Need expertise to get up and running
- Could cost more initially
There may be times when there are off-the-shelf databases that seem to fit all or
most of your requirements.
If the database doesn’t quite cover everything you may need to set up other systems,
whether electronic or off-line to fill the gaps. This can be quite labour intensive.
- Quick to set up
- Usually cheap to buy initially
- Updates may be available
- Greater chance of mistakes with multiple systems
- Could cost more in the long run
- Usually generic rather tailor-made
Should you build or buy a database?